Plas Menai National Outdoor Centre
Plas Menai fully supports the government guidelines on the current Covid-19 situation. Following Government advice, we have everything in place to operate safely following all guidelines. During this time, we will have had to adapt areas of our service to ensure staff and customers are kept safe.
Please find below supporting information and a link to complete an online waiver prior to arrival for all participants.
Below is a list of our procedures which have been put in place in line with welsh government guidelines;
• Online waivers must be completed for all participants prior to arrival, without this completed we cannot allow you to participate.
• Due to current situation, our usual changing facilities are closed; shielded outdoor changing facilities, toilet and hand washing facilities are available. Please arrive “beach ready” with swimming costumes on under your clothes, and if you have your own wetsuit please bring with you.
• Social distancing will be kept between the instructor and participant at all times, where possible, please abide by social distancing guidelines when moving around the centre.
• Face coverings are required to be worn at all times within the Centre, apart from when you are taking part in sport or exercise.
• We will have a one-way entry and exit point in and around the centre, with signage to help assist.
• We are limiting numbers on site at any one time and we will have staff present to supervise customers, start and finish times of sessions will be staggered to avoid large gatherings in any one area.
• We will not handle any of your valuables, we do have lockers onsite where you can keep valuables.
• Additional hand washing facilities and hand sanitiser will be available around the centre for customers and staff to wash their hands before and after activities and throughout the day.
• All equipment will be disinfected between sessions; lockers, wetsuits, buoyancy aids, helmets, boards, kayaks and all hard surfaces.
• In the event of anyone in your group requiring first aid we will make our first aid kits available and give as much guidance as we can for you to help each other. As a last resort, our first aiders will apply personal protection equipment for themselves and the casualty if required to intervene.
• Track and Trace: We're encouraging all customers to download the NHS app and register so that you can be notified if you have been in contact with anyone who has tested positive for Covid. We have handy QR codes dotted around site to give you quick access to this.
Please do not visit the centre if;
• You currently have symptoms of COVID-19 (new persistent dry cough, fever, loss of taste or smell)
• Had a positive test for COVID-19 or onset of symptoms of COVID-19 in the last 10 days.
• You have been in contact with someone who has symptoms of COVID-19 or has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days
Should we need too, we will change the rules at any time. Please be sensible, think of others, stay alert and respect social distance during your visit. Any sessions maybe cancelled at short notice if conditions are not deemed suitable by the Duty Manager on the day as part of the risk assessment to reduce risk of rescues, in this event you may re-schedule your adventure or request a refund.
Plas Menai will provide wetsuits. Please bring with you;
• Footwear for in the water
• Warm clothes for afterwards
If you would like to use your own wetsuit please ensure it is a long wetsuit (both arms and legs), and feel free to turn up ready to go for your session.
On arrival please check the board at the information stand for your assembly point and scan the NHS Track and Trace QR Code - please arrive at your booking time, please do not arrive early as we are trying to limit numbers on site.
Please park in the main car park and remain in your car until an instructor arrives at your assembly point.
If you need assistance call reception on 03003003112
Free car park, which is suitable for school buses, but please note cars are parked at their own risk
Wheelchair access to building, changing facilities and waterfront location
Slipway and private beach area
Wet shoes must be worn during all activities
Male/Female changing rooms, with toilets and showers (currently closed due to Covid 19)
Lockers require £0.50p
No dogs allowed
Catering department on site
Plas Menai is situated on the banks of the beautiful Menai Strait, conveniently placed between Bangor and Caernarfon, on the North Wales coast. The Centre is only a short drive from the Snowdonia National Park, and overlooks the Isle of Anglesey.
By road: The Centre is situated on the A487 between Bangor and Caernarfon. From the A55 expressway, take exit 10, signposted to Caernarfon (A487), and follow the brown signs to Plas Menai, approximately 5 miles.
By Rail/Bus: Bangor is the nearest station, approximately 7 miles away. Taxis are available immediately outside the main station entrance. Alternatively, turn left out of the station entrance, and the bus stop is a few yards along on the same side of the road. The No 5 and 5a buses run between Bangor and Caernarfon, and will take you to Griffiths Crossing bus stop. The Centre is a 5-minute walk away.
Plas Menai National Outdoor Centre,